August 25, 2011

A Birth Story. Part One.

a year ago, I was anxiously awaiting an answer. One pink line, then another. I was overly confident in "knowing" I was pregnant - I told Nick I was taking the test just to be sure. But the moment I put the stick down and had to wait for that definitive plus sign to app...I began to get nervous. Fortunately, after a minute or two, we saw this.

& we celebrated. We hugged and kissed. & stared at that little plastic stick as if it was going to deliver us another baby right then and there. Needless to say, we were elated.

Roughly 9 months later, we had the same reaction when the doctor placed her in our arms.

but let me back up.

Part One.

I had my 39 week appointment on Wednesday, April 20th. My mom flew in the night before and for some reason I was a little nervous this time around. My self imposed to-do list was a mile long and I half-jokingly proclaimed that today would be the day Emmie would decide to make her debut since there was still half a dozen things I hadn't crossed off my list. I got to the office 5 minutes early, chatted with the girls at the front desk as they cheerfully handed Carley some new stickers, and waited to be called back. I figured the appointment would be quick - pee in a cup, blood pressure cuff, step on a scale, a cold dollop of goo on my belly to check baby's heartbeat, a quick internal, and a "nothing yet" pep talk from my OB. That was my plan - a quick in & out and then we'd be on our way somewhere to have lunch.

18 weeks, 6 days

After a few minutes, the nurse calls my name and signals me to head on in. I make my rounds. Bathroom, blood pressure, weight, and position myself atop the crinkly paper on those awkward bed thingies while I wait for my Dr to come in so he can do his part. Next part, goo, doppler - everything's good so far, baby's heartbeat is great. Now for a quick measurement. Measuring tape comes out and the Dr stops at 35. Glances back at my chart and calls for his nurse.

20 weeks, 3 days

I know what he's going to say. He wants the ultrasound tech to come in and make sure everything is fine. I've been measuring at 35 for the past 4 weeks and something's gotta give.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me some love. let me know what you think. i'd love to hear what you have to say :)