April 22, 2012

Dear Baby,

One. 365 days. & yet, it feels like I just blinked. I know that's what most momma's say about their babies turning one, but it's probably because it rings true for so many of us. Like yesterday, I remember the smell of room 211 and the sound of a little heart thump-thumping through the monitor and flooding the room with the sound of its perfect rhythm. It feels like yesterday. Maybe even this morning. And yet, it's been a year. & oh what a year it has been. Lots of highs and lots of lows, and lots of memories in between. Your first moments of life were incredible. For so long I felt your long legs push and nudge against me as you tried to get comfortable, and I wondered who you'd be. At 12:22 am, as I saw you stretch and yawn and snuggle into me, I started to learn just who you were. I just had no idea what was ahead for us or all the things you would teach me over the next year.

In a word, the first few months were rough. A few weeks in, I started feeling the pressure & I knew something wasn't right. It felt different. I felt different. & it was a reality I have been very reluctant to admit. I'm sure it's something lots of momma's are very reluctant to admit. But the facts remain. & the feelings are hard to shake. I felt off. Disconnected. I thought it was you. All the changes we were going through. A move. A deployment. A new baby. But it was me. Oh baby, it was me. And for every day that I've been better, I wish I could do it over.

For you.
For us.

I would hold you more. & snuggle you in closer. & really appreciate your newborn smell. But it was something that I just couldn't do then. I can't get those moments back, but I can make now better. Now I carry you a little longer. I hold tight to the moments we get to snuggle in your chair right before bedtime. I breathe in your almost one year old smell. I melt at the sound of your laughter. I savor all the little things you do and wonder if I missed anything before. There are so many things about you right now that I never want to forget. The way your nose crinkles up & how your eyes get all squinty when you laugh. Or how the only way I can keep you on your changing table long enough for me to change your diaper is to give you a wipe to keep you entertained. How you stick out your tongue when you decide you're all done with dinner. & how even after it all, your face lights up the moment you see me.

I am one blessed momma to have you. Thank you for teaching me more about being a momma - your momma - than I ever thought you could. My sweet, sweet girl. You amaze me. You have a beautiful heart & a warm smile that washes all my worries away & let's me know we're gonna be great. You're going to be great. & I know you will do great things. I love you, little bee.

Forever & ever,
Momma

1 comment:

  1. Aw this made me cry. I remember feeling this SO keenly when Bella turned two. Our lives were in such upheaval, everything was such a mess for so long. I felt like I'd missed a lot.

    But just the fact that you think this, that you wrote it, and that you're making an effort to remember it all now - means that even in the thick of it you did then. You just might not have been as aware as you are now. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love. let me know what you think. i'd love to hear what you have to say :)